8 February 2021
LGA Framework on Safeguarding Concerns
The Local Government Association (LGA) has published its Framework on Safeguarding Concerns which accompanies the Framework on Safeguarding Enquires [PDF] that was published last year. The LGA is also hosting a series of webinars between January – March next year to discuss the framework. Please see the times, dates and email address to contact to book on below.
The contact address is CHIP@local.gov.uk
The dates for the sessions are:
- 26th January 2021, Session: 10:00 to 12:00
- 27th January 2021, Session: 10:00 to 12:00
- 12th February 2021, Session: 10:00 to 12:00
- 17th February 2021, Session: 10:00 to 12:00
- 15th March 2021, Session: 10:00 to 12:00
- 22nd March 2021, Session: 10:00 to 12:00
Mental Health report
- Health, Welfare and Deprivation of Liberty Report: updated DHSC MCA/DoLS COVID-19 guidance;
- Wider Context Report: challenging reports about the disproportionate effect of COVID-19 upon those with a learning disability; and
- Practice and Procedure Report: for how long does a Court of Protection judgment remain binding, and helpful guidance for experts reporting upon capacity.
FGM Network updates
At the recently launched FGM Network, members have had discussions leading to work towards the development of an FGM pathway and a crib sheet for non-pregnant women in light of the new national clinics and considering opportunities to train or raise awareness of FGM amongst GPs and other health professionals.
Resources were shared from a national FGM conference, including an information leaflet, which you can download from the Resources page
Making Safeguarding Personal webinars
Research in Practice are hosting two webinars to support the implementation of Making Safeguarding Personal. This work has been commissioned by ADASS and the LGA.
The first webinar, Introducing tools and resources to support Making Safeguarding Personal, on 27 January, 2 - 4pm, will give a refresh of the MSP approach, and will give delegates the opportunity to see the resources and think about how they will use them in their own practice.
The second webinar, Developing learning sessions & materials using Making Safeguarding Personal tools and resources, on 03 February, 2 - 4pm, is aimed at people who are responsible for the learning and development of other professionals.
Resources from these webinars will be available online shortly after the event has taken place.
COVID Vaccination Scam
There have been reports of a new scam where a person receives a text saying they need to book a vaccination appointment and it takes them to a fake NHS form which then asks for their bank details to prove their identity.
The NHS will never ask for peoples banking information.
There is a texting scam leaflet [PDF]
Please share this information with your service user networks and your teams.
The Social Care Institute for Excellence has updated its safeguarding adults free resources to help safeguarding boards, care providers, housing providers, local authorities, the NHS (including clinical commissioning groups) or police to safeguard adults at risk of abuse or neglect.