Disclosure and Barring Service: Regional Safeguarding Outreach programme update
8 February 2021
The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) launched the Regional Safeguarding Outreach programme last year to focus on working collaboratively with safeguarding and recruiting organisations. Lizzie Whittington has recently taken over as the Safeguarding Outreach Officer for the East Midlands region, inheriting the role from Beth Dale who will be working in the North East when she returns from Maternity Leave. Lizzie has a local authority background and will be continuing Beth’s work to work closely with organisations in the East Midlands to develop relationships and raise awareness of DBS as a safeguarding organisation.
Lizzie is based in the East Midlands and is available to develop and deliver any sessions or services you are interested in to support you and your colleagues in safeguarding and safer recruitment. Lizzie is happy to answer DBS related enquiries and to discuss any issues or barriers you may have come across or provide any DBS information sessions you feel would be beneficial.
- Any phone calls or emails to clarify any DBS related queries/questions or advice
- Attending meetings, training, conferences virtually and eventually face to face when it is safe to do so
- Developing and delivering presentations, workshops, webinars or discussions to provide an overview of the DBS
- If you require a presentation or information session on a specific topic, Lizzie can also arrange for a subject matter expert to attend to provide a detailed overview on this topic
- Taking any feedback, suggestions or comments from your experience of the DBS and feed this back into the business
- Informing organisations and employers of their duty or power to refer individuals who may pose a future risk of harm within regulated activity. Including an overview of:
- How to make barring referrals
- When should a referral be made; and
- How DBS assess whether a referred person should be included on the Children’s and/or Adults’ Barred List.
If you have any questions regarding the Disclosure and Barring Service or would like Lizzie to meet with you and your colleagues to provide any further information, please contact her directly using the contact details below.